- LOCATION sessions are done at my home in Pittsford, NY.
- YOUR SESSION PREPARATION I schedule newborn sessions around 10:00 am. The light in my home is soft and pretty during this time and newborns seem to be sleepiest in the morning. If you can keep your newborn up minimum of 2 hours and preferably 3-4 hours before coming that helps for a sleepier session. This is not always easy to do but will greatly benefit both of us. The sleepier your newborn is the more set-ups I can get while they peacefully sleep! Feed baby right before you arrive, that way baby has a full tummy at the time that we get started.. Dress baby in a zipper sleeper if you can. In summer months, dress the baby in a diaper and cover them with a blanket if they’re comfortable with that as it makes for an easier transition The car ride to the studio will help to get them in a deep sleep so we can start right away with posing and styling. When you arrive at the studio leave your newborn in their car seat and I will be in charge once you enter. If you can bring a bottle and a binkie/pacifier/soothie that helps greatly to keep the session moving peacefully. Using a pinkie/pacifier/soothie makes a tremendous difference and helps to soothe them into different poses. Some babies rely heavily on it for settling - others don’t really even need it, but it’s good to have just in case.
- AFTER THE SESSION your edited digital files will be emailed to you through dropbox around a week after your session. Cash, checks or credit card thru PayPal are accepted for payment. Your digital files will not be sent to you until payment is received in full.
- WHEN SHOULD I CALL TO SCHEDULE MY NEWBORN SESSION? Before your baby is born! It is so important to plan ahead. Capturing your newborn within the first two weeks of life while they are still sleepy and curled up, can make all the difference in your newborn portraits. My schedule fills up about four weeks in advance so please call to schedule your newborn appointment before your baby is born. Since I never really know when your little one will arrive I will put you on our calendar to hold a spot for you. When your baby is born I will move your appointment accordingly. If your baby came early or if your baby is already born, don’t panic! I always do my best to squeeze newborns into our schedule and older babies take beautiful portraits too.
- IS ONE WEEK TOO EARLY FOR MY SESSION? Absolutely not! Newborn babies photograph best between 6-10 days old. At this point they are still very sleepy and like to curl up as if they were still in the womb. I take up to two hours for a newborn session and leave plenty of time for feedings, diaper changes and breaks for mommy and baby. Come as soon as you are ready. I can’t wait to meet your new little one.
- WHAT SHOULD BABY WEAR? Newborns photograph best without any clothes at all. I also love to photograph newborns swaddled in blankets with lots of texture and snuggled up tight in buckets and baskets, so if you have a special blanket or two bring them. We have an extensive supply of newborn hats, bows and headbands that coordinate beautifully with our blankets and props that I will use to stylize your images. You are welcome to bring any hats or props that you would like to have the baby photographed in. I encourages my clients to bring special, personal items which make the session and images especially meaningful.
- HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR MY NEWBORN SESSION? We recommend that you keep baby awake 1-2 hours before the photo shoot to ensure we get those sleepy, squishy baby poses! Plan to feed baby right before you leave for your photo shoot. Sleepy babies photograph perfectly so it's natural that we will need to take several breaks for feeding baby during the session to ensure that your baby is happy and has a full tummy. We ask that you not be too concerned with scheduled feedings during the session and that you feed baby on demand or when they get a bit fussy to ensure their comfort and a smooth session. Please schedule your session for your due date, which we'll re-book once baby arrives. Newborn sessions take place within the first 2 weeks, typically around day 5-10. This way we'll get the snuggly sleepy poses you love. Your session will last about 2 hours, and you'll want to keep the morning free from other appointments.
- WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED AT THE SESSIONS? As you have come to us to photograph your precious littles – we must state that no other photography take place at our shoots. No cameras, cell phone pics of any kind. We like to keep our setups and processes a little secret until we are able to process the images to reveal for your sneak peeks and galleries. Again, thank you for understanding.
- WHO CAN COME TO THE SESSION? At our sessions we like baby to stay focused on me. Having additional spectators is not only distracting to them – but me as the photographer as well. I ask for you to bring one other adult with you and your baby. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.